Saturday, November 19, 2005

Still on Issue Entrepreneurship

For my Issue Entrepreneurship, I had this huge ambition of creating an online community that will bring science teachers and other educators together to share ideas, but having realized that it will not be very feasible, I opted for joining an appropriate community which is already in existence. One community I found interesting is MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) http://www.merlot.org.

MERLOT is as a collaborative effort of a consortium of higher education institutions and its strategic goal is to improve the effectiveness of teaching and learning by increasing the quantity and quality of peer reviewed online learning materials that can be easily incorporated into faculty designed courses. Disciplines covered include The Arts, Business, Education, Humanities, Mathematics and Statistics, Science and Technology and the Social Sciences.

Membership of MERLOT allows one to:
- Contribute learning materials.
- Make comments about a learning resource you've used.
- Add an assignment to a learning material.
- Develop a personal profile to help others in your community know more about you.
- Create your own personal collection of learning resources.
- Become a peer reviewer of the learning materials in your discipline
- Get access to great ideas to help you in both online and classroom teaching

I have since become a member of MERLOT. In the meantime I am starting a wiki in which I will catalogue all my activities within this online community. I hope to contact as many science educators as possible and urge them to let us form a community within (and ultimately outside) MERLOT. I just want to see how far I can go with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home